AIRPORT Hearth of Montenegro
Podgorica airport HISTORY
In 1928, when the air traffic started in the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, on the ground of Montenegro, landed a passenger jet.
In the study- circular flight an experienced team went on route Belgrade-Skopje-Podgorica-Mostar-Sarajevo-Belgrade, undertaken for the purpose of "tracing" of the intended network traffic lines, biplane Potez 29-2, license plates X-SEFGA, local Civil Aviation Society, .
Biplane flown by the pilots engineer and director Tadija Sondermajer , and Vladimir Striževski, chief pilot of the Company, in addition to Aeromechanics Pavle Ćuk, passengers were the correspondent of "Politika" journalist Nikolic and cinematographer Njemec. To accommodate equipment, food supplies, water, clothes, blankets, and other supplies, some seats in the passenger cabin are dismantled .
The plane took off from Belgrade on May 26, 1928 on the first phase, the flight to Skopje. After two days of detention in Skopje, where he was baptized as "Skopje", the plane continued flight, "tracing" toward Podgorica.
With magnificent and warm welcome the plane landed on May 29 on an old airfield near Vrela Ribničkih / Ćemovsko polje/.
In Podgorica, the 5th of May in 1930 at 10h and 45 minutes landed the first passenger plane. Podgorica was celebrating. Few thousand citizens of Podgorica and surrounding villages was greeting with curiosity, reporters wrote about "a bird with an engine", and prepared unseen ovations. The plane type "Farman" with nine seats, with the pilot and Sondrmajer, "the main organizer of the Company," There were five journalists, contributors of Belgrade press. The president of the Municipality of Podgorica has donated 10 pilot Napoleon and to Sondermajer golden Montenegrin outfit.
About that event, the then Montenegrin press writes among other things:
"... A passenger airplane took off from Belgrade to Sarajevo at 7h.Then arrived at Sarajevo at 8h33m. After half an hour rest, airplane took off from Sarajevo to Podgorica where they arrived at 10 hours and 45 minutes. Airplane landed on the field near old settlements "Stara Varoš"... Society "Branko" sang the national anthem and then the guests prepared a banquet at the hotel "Imperial" .Airplane will go twice a week: on Mondays and Thursdays, and the price is 850 dinars. "/ Free Thought, May 11, 1930 /
Program they prepared sparked with enthusiasm, and results big ovations.
1946 - 1961
April 1957. Airplane C-47 achieves the first domestic cargo lines (Belgrde-Sarajevo-Titograd) which transported newspapers and a variety of cargo.
Airport Titograd, as one of the first with a concrete runway was opened for air traffic in 1961.
He hada very functional building with all necessary facilities, with about 4000m2 together with access roads. Building was able to handle about 1,000 passengers a day. As rounded unit with supporting facilities, could neatly and efficiently receive and dispatch25- 30 aircraft of type DC-9 within 24 hours.
On the 13. of July 1977. on the day of the uprising SR Montenegro was officially opened reconstructed and modernized airport Titograd-Golubovci, one of the most modern airports in the country. At the ceremony Orlandić Marko, President of the Executive Council of Montenegro and Mirko Popovic, who presented the builders gold watches - gift of Titograd parlament.
This modern airport, located in Golubovci near Titograd, whose runway was 2500 m long and 45 meters wide, which means it could accommodate nearly all types of passenger aircraft at the time.The runway at both ends ("threshold") had arranged the belts, which are a guarantee of security, in the event that the plane eventually deviate from the runway.By the runway there was a parallel taxiway 2500 m with the width of 15 m.
The community has received airport, as the most beautiful gift for the 13th of July, Day of uprising of the Montenegro people. Airport Titograd is open for regular traffic on July 16 that year, and was not only significant for the Federal Republic of Montenegro, but also for our entire air traffic. That year 1977, in relation to the territory and population, Montenegro is a relatively dense network of airports, which consisted of Titograd, Tivat, Ivangrad and Zabljak.
After more than three decades, today's airport, namesake of his home city, was modernized , extended, and equipped as a modern airport. The overall look of "Podgorica", elegance of form and charm of some of its units or parts, make it ambasador who best represented their country, in the eyes of foreigners and traveler.
Airports of Montenegro
Public Enterprise Airports of Montenegro was formed in 1999 by the Government .Airports in Podgorica and Tivat, after years of negotiations over from Serbian company JAT on 23 April 2003 and became the property of the Government of Montenegro. Director of Airports of Montenegro is Mr. Milovan Đuričković.
From the date of taking the airports by the State of Montenegro, starts theirs accelerated planed and dynamic development as well as their international promotion.
Name of the society: "Airports of Montenegro" joint-stock company for services in air trafic. Shorted name of the Company is: "Airports of Montenegro" AD
Place of management of the Company is at Podgorica Airport
Entities of the Company are:
The organization is registered in the Central Register of Business Entities